I’ve been playing the acoustic guitar for a little over 2 years now and am fairly decent at it. I faced a lot of challenges over the time. I feel these are a few things everyone should know before learning the guitar.
- Pain. It is going to hurt a lot. This isn’t going to go away anytime. Even now I get wrist pain all the time because as I progress to difficult chords the pain intensity rises. I am right handed so that means my left hand does all the chords, at times I’m not even able to feel my left hand.
- Cuts. You’ll get a ton of these. Some by accident and some while playing. The tips of our finger press the strings so the skin over there tears and new harder skin grows. I had terrible experience with this, as my hand used to constantly burn because there was the skin saying goodbye to me. But over time new skin came and the tips of my fingers are now rougher compared to the rest of my hand.
- It won’t be pain in only one hand. As time passed I got used to having my left hand being sore most of the days. But I was wrong when I tried finger style. In finger style we don’t use a pick but instead use our right hand to pick the strings while left hand holds the chords. Now this hurts. I tried finger style just yesterday and my right hand aches a lot along with some skin already tearing off.
- Even though finger style hurts so much, it its the most beautiful one. I’m currently doing Summer Of 69 on finger style and I love the sound of it. As you keep on playing and hearing the beauty in the sound, you’ll forget about the pain.
- You won’t be able to sing and play at the first go. This was near impossible for me in the start. But now I can easily sing and play. It just takes patience/time and practice. The more you play,the better you get.
I hope you could get an inside at how playing a guitar is.
It is by far one of the most beautiful instruments and once you get a hang of it you’ll never want to stop. Guitar is not easy, but nor is it something impossible to learn.
Give it a shot and you’ll love it. But be ready for the pain it brings.
Next year, I hope to progress into electric guitar or Bass along with drums. Let me know if anyone plays these and about the problems these come with!
Thanks for reading